|Easy Red Chori Masala/Adzuki Bean Gravy/Karamani Masala|
Easy Red Chori Masala/Adzuki Bean Gravy/Karamani Masala is a yummy gravy that can easily pair up with Rotis, parathas and Rice varieties.
I bought these cute red beans from an old lady in a village market, in fact that market was loaded with lot of other people sitting on mud floor and selling fresh veggies, fruits, spices and pulses. All the items sold in the market are grown in that very own place and was sold fresh everyday, I could even buy few rare varieties of veggies and fruits like wood apples (Bael fruit), fresh turkey berry (sundakkai in tamil), etc. I loved this unique shopping experience, in cities you never get an opportunity to see such village market and we have to shop around in big monotonous supermarkets.
- 2 Cups Red chori/Adzuki bean/Karamani
- 3 Onions (chopped as big cubes)
- 4 Tomatoes (chopped as big pieces)
- 4 Garlic pods
- 1 inch Ginger (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves/Kasuri methi
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds/Jeera
- As per taste Salt
- 1 ladle Oil
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Garam masala
1) Soak Red chori/Karamani overnight or for 6 hours.
2) Next day, discard the water and wash the beans once. Fill it with new water and pressure cook till they turn soft.
3) Heat oil in a kadai and add Cumin seeds to crackle.
2) Grind onion, tomato, ginger and garlic to fine paste.
3) Heat oil in a kadai and add cumin seeds to crackle. Now add ground paste and fry till they get cooked also shrinks with oil oozing out on its sides.
4) Add Garam masala, Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder, Salt and mix well.
5) Add the cooked Red chori along with the water and mix well.
6) Leave it to boil for 15 minutes and switch off the flame.
7) Finally, garnish with Kasuri methi and coriander leaves.
1) If you need that extra tangy taste, add few Amchur powder.
2) You can add fresh cream at final step or try grinding few cashews along with onion tomato paste to enhance the richness of the gravy .