Nellikai Urugai/Gooseberry pickle is Vitamin C rich and easy to prepare Oorugai.
Gooseberry is a wonderful fruit that gives immerse health benefits. Click here to know more about this fruit.
- 8 Gooseberries/Periya Nellikai
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek powder/Vendhaya podi
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- A small piece or 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 ladle Gingelly Oil/Nallennai
1) Wash and clean the Gooseberries. Add Salt, Turmeric powder in 1/2 cup of water and boil them. Switch off the flame, add the gooseberries and close it with a lid. Leave them for 24 hours with Occasional stirring. Gooseberries needs to turn soft and tender, sometimes it might take longer time.
2) After gooseberries turn soft and tender. Add Red chilli powder, Fenugreek powder to Gooseberries. Now heat oil in a kadai and add Mustard seeds to crackle. Next add Asafoetida to roast.
3) Pour this oil mixture on top of Gooseberries in a circular way. Mix them well and leave it for 24 hours.
Next day, our Nellikai urugai is ready to pair up Curd Rice. Store it in a glass container and refrigerate it.
1) If refrigerated this pickle can stay fresh for 2 weeks.
2) During season, you can buy Gooseberries in bulk. Follow the step 1, but with one alteration you need to add more water, Gooseberries needs to immerse in water. Store them in glass bottles in Fridge. When you need to make pickle, take few Gooseberries and do seasoning. These bottle stored Gooseberries stay fresh for 3-4 months.