First I need to thank each and every one who visit my blog frequently and give me motivating comments. Your positive comments and appreciations means a lot to me and drives me to post lots of new recipes. I keep getting requests to include lots of Kids friendly millet recipes. I really understand all your mothers pain to make your little one eat healthy food. One idea that works out in my home is making the healthy food look colourful.
In this recipe, I have made Idli out of Kodo millet but made it as curd idli and decorated with contrasting red colour grated carrots which will be very attractive to kids. Try this idea at your home to make your fussy eater to eat. I have given more options at TIPS section at the bottom of the post.
The other names of Kodo Millet are Kodra (Hindhi), Varagu (Tamil), Arikelu (Telugu), Harka (Kannada).
I have posted a separate recipe on how to make Kodo millet/Varagu Idli
- 6-8 Varagaridi idlis
- 4 cups Curd
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- As per taste Salt
- 1/4 cup Grated Coconut
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- 1 Green chilli (alter according to your spice level)
- 1/2 inch length Ginger
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Oil
1) Make Varagarisi Idlis and keep aside.
2) Grind Coconut, Green chilli, Ginger and Coriander to fine paste.
3) Add milk to curd and beat it with a whipper. Now mix the ground Coconut paste, sugar, Salt to the curd and mix well.
4) Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds to crackle next add urad dal and fry till light brown. Pour this seasoning mixture to Curd.
5) Now place the idli in a bowl and pour the seasoned curd on top of it. Add grated carrot on top of it and serve it.
Yummy Kodo millte Curd idli is ready...
1) You can also add few boondhis on top of Curd idlis while serving to get a crunchy taste also to attract the kids.
2) You can also add few finitely chopped onion if you prefer raw onion flavour.
3) To add some sweetness, you can also garnish the idlis with Pomegranate seeds.
4) Instead of regular size idlis, you can also make mini idlis .