Siru thaniyangal (Millets) are rich in fibre and high in nutritional value comparing to white rice that we eat. Today my post is about Varagarisi (Kodo millet), which is one of the millet variety.
I know its tough to jump to millets from rice immediately, which we were eating for years. But you can slowly do that with out even compromising taste or colour.
Yes, this idli is made of Varagarisi/Kodo millet but I never realised it when I ate it.
Measurement to grind Batter:
- 2 Cups Varagarisi/ Kodo millet
- 2 Cups Idli Rice
- 1 Cup Whole urad dal
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek seeds
To Start of, you can use this measurement, and slowly increase the measurement of Varagarisi and Idli rice for 3:1 ratio.
How to make batter:
1) Soak Varagarisi and Idli rice, fenugreek seeds together and Urad dal for about 2-3 hours
2) Grind urad dal to fluffy batter.
3) Grind rice to coarse batter.
4) Mix all and salt to ferment.
Your batter is ready....for detailed version check Idli/Dosa batter
Method to make Soft steaming Idlis:
1) Put batter in greased idli moulds and steam for 10-12 mins
2) Once they are done, remove the hot idlis to be served.
Try this recipe and give your valuable comments....I am sure you will love it.