Avalakki Upittu is a healthy and easy to prepare break fast recipe for Busy mornings.
In Kannada, Flattened rice means Avalakki and upma means upittu. I tasted this upittu in my Friends house and it was similar to Arisi upma but was unable to find which main Ingredient she has used. When I asked her about the recipe, I was surprised to know that it was made out of Avalakki/Aval. I got the recipe immediately and tried at home.
- 1 cup Avalakki/Flattened Rice (Thick variety)
- 2 tbsp Grated Coconut
- As per taste Salt
- 2 tbsp Moong dal/Hesaru bele
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- A pinch Hing
- 2 Red chillies
- A spring Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Oil
1) Heat a kadai and dry roast Moog dal, Cumin seeds and Pepper corns till nice aroma arises. Leave them to cool down and grind to coarse mixture.
2) Now Grind Flattened Rice (Avalakki) to coarse mixture and set aside.
3) Heat oil in a kadai and add Mustard seeds to crackle. Next add Urad dal and fry till light brown. Finally add Red chillies, Hing, Curry laves and fry again.
4) Now add ground Moong dal mixture and fry. Next add Avalakki and fry again. Finally add grated coconut and give a quick mix.
5) Add Salt and 2 cups of water and leave it to boil in medium flame. Once avalakki absorbs all water and gets cooked completely then switch off the flame.
Healthy and tasty Avalakki upittu is ready...
1) Water measurement varies according to the Avalakki/Flattened rice Quality.
2) You can ground the Flattened Rice in bulk quantity and store it in airtight container in advance. Also the same way, you can also ground the moong dal mixture and store it in airtight container.