Neer Dosa is one of the Authentic dish of Karnataka and is a Dosa/crepe made of Rice and Coconut.
This Neer dosa is easy to make also no fermentation process is needed. Neer means Water in Kannada, lots of water is added to ground batter to make it runny batter to make dosas with less oil.
One of my friend who is basically from Udupi was kind enough to share this recipe with me. She also gave the combination side-dish for this dosa. Bella thenginakaayi: Mix Grated Coconut with Jaggery and a pinch of Cardamom powder and it is ready. Also this neer dosa goes well with any other side dish that we prepare for normal dosa, click here for Side dish varieties.
If you want to prepare the same Neer dosa with a millet replacing Rice, try my Panivaragu Neer dosa (Proso millet Neer dosa)
- 1 Cup Raw Rice/Dosa Rice
- 1/2 cup Grated Coconut
- As needed Salt
1) Soak rice for 3-4 hours. Drain water and grind the rice with grated coconut to smooth paste. When you rub the a pinch of batter between your fingers it should be smooth without any granules similar to maida paste.
2) Add enough water to make a runny batter. The correct consistency is, the batter should not stick to backside of ladle.
3) Heat a dosa tawa and drizzle some oil. Pour a thin layer from outside to inside (like how we do for rava dosa)
4) Close it with a lid and cook in medium flame.
5) After it is cooked, no need to flip it, just remove it carefully from tawa and serve hot.
1) You can also use mixer to grind the dosa batter.
2) If you are cooking this dosa in a nonstick pan, no need to apply oil and pour a ladle of batter and swirl the pan holding the handle.