Raw Mango Rice/Manga sadam/Mavinakayi Chitranna /Mamdikaya pulihora is a tasty Rice prepared with Raw Mango.
- 1 Cup Grated Raw mango*
- 3 Cups Cooked Rice
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Channa dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 2 tbsp Raw peanuts
- 2 Red chillies (Broken as halves)
- A pinch Hing
- A spring Curry leaves
- 1 ladle Oil
1) *Scrap off the outer layer of Raw mango and grate it. Cook the rice as separate grains and leave it to cool.
2) Heat oil in a kadai and add Mustard seeds to crackle. Next add Channa dal, Urad dal, Hing, Red chillies and fry till light brown.
3) Add Peanuts and fry. Next add Curry leaves and fry again. Now add grated Raw mango and fry till it gets cooked and shrink in size.
4) Now add Turmeric powder, Salt and mix well.
5) Finally add Rice, mix well and switch off the flame.
Tasty Raw Mango Rice is ready..
1) If you want to prepare Karnataka style Mavinakayi chitranna, add 1/4 cup of fresh grated coconut finally and mix well. You can also use grated dried coconut (khobbari) or Frozen coconut instead of fresh ones.
2) For Andhra style Mamidikaya pulihora, add 1 finely chopped Green chilli while seasoning for extra spiciness.
3) Other variations that you can do is
i) You can add Cashews while seasoning
ii) You can add 1/2 tsp of grated Ginger
iii) Adding Curry powder for extra flavour
iv) Garnishing with finely Chopped coriander leaves