Kovakkai/Tindora/Dondakay/Ivy gourd is one of the vegetable which has immerse health benefits and rich in Vitamin C. It is recommended for sugar control as well.
- 1/2 kg Kovakkai
- 2 tbsp Curry powder
- 2 tbsp grated Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Oil
1) Wash the kovakkai and trim the edges and chop them (circle shape).
2) Add turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp salt to kovakkai and Pressure cook for 3 whistles. After pressure cooking, you might see some water in it. You can drain it and add to your rasams, sambar or kootu.
3) Heat oil in a kadai, temper Mustard seeds and Urad dal.
4) Add cooked kovakkai and mix well. At this stage, add more salt according to taste.
5) Let kovakkai become crispy in oil, it might take around 15 mins.
6) Now add curry powder and grated coconut, then switch off the flame.
1) Pressure cooking kovakkai is optional, you can directly cook in kadai . After tempering, add sliced kovakkai and sprinkle water then cover the kadai with a lid to get cooked.
2) You can replace curry powder with sambar powder also.
3) Adding grated coconut can be skipped if you are diet conscious.
4) You can add more oil for crispier kovakkai.
5) 1 cup of chopped onion can be added after tempering for added taste. Let it fry for 2 mins and add kovakkai to it.