|Cauliflower Peas Kurma|
This Cauliflower Peas Kurma was tasting heavenly and was going well with idiyappam, chapathi and even with dosa.
I keep getting emails asking for alternatives to cashews to add in gravys without compromising the taste. You can use melon seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. In this Cauliflower Peas Kurma, I have added melon seeds instead of cashews. Infact, in one of my previous recipe "white vegetable Kurma", I have used pumpkin seeds to replace cashews and it has turned out amazingly well.
Apart from White Vegetable Kurma, other Kurma recipes that I have posted are
Togarikalu/Pigeon Peas Kurma
Potato Peas Kurma
Coming to our Cauliflower Peas Kurma recipe, the ingredients are
- 1/2 Cauliflower (split as florets) (or 2 cups of florets)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Green peas (or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- A pinch Hing
- 2 tablespoon Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Milk
- As per taste Salt
To Fry and Grind
- 1 Onion (chopped as cubes)
- 1 Tomato (chopped as cubes)
- 1-inch length Ginger (skin peeled and chopped)
- 4-5 Garlic pods
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds
- 2 Green Chillies (split in halves)
- 4-5 pieces Coconut (If using grated coconut then 4 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon Melon seeds
- 1 tablespoon Roasted gram/Pottukadalai
- 2 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- A spring Curry Leaves
- 1/2 Onion (Finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoon Coconut oil
1) Drop the Cauliflower florets in warm salt water and leave them to be immersed for few minutes.
2) Meanwhile, heat oil in a kadai/wok until shimmering and add coriander seeds. Fry the seeds till nice aroma then add onion, ginger, garlic, green chillies and fry till onions turn light brown.
3) Next, add tomatoes and fry till they get cooked.
4) Transfer the onion-tomato mixture to bowl to leave it to cool down. Wipe the wok/kadai and heat oil until shimmering.
5) Add mustard seeds to crackle, next add bay leaf and fry.
6) Add curry leaves and onions, fry till onion turn golden brown. Next, add green peas and fry again.
7) Add 2 cups of water and leave the peas to get cooked half way. Drain the salt water from cauliflower florets and add the florets to wok.
8) Add salt and close the wok with a lid. Leave the cauliflower and peas to get cooked for few minutes.
9) Meanwhile, grind the onion tomato mixture along with melon seeds, roasted gram and coconut to smooth paste.
10) After the florets and peas are cooked, add ground coconut paste and mix well. Leave it to boil for few more minutes.
11) Add Garam masala, turmeric powder, hing and leave it to boil for few more minutes.
12) Switch off the flame and leave the kurma to reach lukewarm temperature.
13) Add milk to kurma and mix well. Finally, garnish with coriander leaves.
Delicious Cauliflower Peas Kurma is ready.
1) Avoid adding milk when the kurma is hot since it might curdle the milk. If you want a richer taste then replace the milk with fresh cream.