This Mixed vegetable kurma goes well with Idiyappam, Roti, Dosa, Pulavs, parottas. Also it tastes similar to Stew but with less coconut. I have added Pumpkin seeds instead of cashews for a diet friendly recipe. This kurma is big treat for weight watchers who wants to taste the restaurant style kurma with less fat.
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Curd/Yoghurt
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp Roasted gram/Pottukadalai
- 1/4 cup Grated coconut
- 2 tbsp Pumpkin seeds (Or Melon seeds Or Cashews)
- 2 Green chillies (Slit length wise)
- 2 tbsp Fresh cream
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Carrot (Chopped as big pieces)
- 15 Beans (Chopped as big pieces)
- 1 Capsicum (Chopped as big pieces)
- 1 Potato (Skin peeled and cut as cubes)
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2-3 Cardamom
- 3-4 Black Pepper
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Black cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- A pinch Asafoetida
1) Add poppy seeds to hot water or hot milk and let it get soaked for 15-20 mins. Later you need to add this while Grinding.
2) Heat oil in a pressure cooker (see pic), add Mustard seeds. After it crackles, add rest of the items in "For Tempering" and fry for few secs .Once you smell the aroma of the spices, add Onion and fry till golden brown.
3) Add Ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell goes. Now add rest of the veggies given in "Veggies" and fry for a min.
4) Add 1 cup of water and let it pressure cook for 1 whistle.
5) Grind the ingredients given in "For Grinding" except fresh cream. Finally add fresh cream and do one pulse.
6) Open the pressure cooker and add Ground paste and Salt, and let it cook for 5 mins without closing the lid.
7) Finally add curd, mix well. Switch off the flame immediately.
Tasty Kurma is ready
1) I have added pumpkin seeds instead of Cashews, which gave me the same taste and diet friendly too.
2) If you are diet conscious switch to 1/4 cup of milk instead of fresh cream.
3) You can add Green peas and Cauliflower too in veggies.
4) Adding few finely chopped Coriander leaves and mint leaves gives nice aroma.