Nellikai thokku/Amla pickle/Gooseberry pickle is a tasty pickle that goes well with Curd rice and parathas.
This pickle is easy to make and stays fresh for a week's time when refrigerated.
- 10-12 Gooseberries
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder (alter according to your spice level)
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek powder
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- A small piece Hing/Asafoetida
- 1/2 cup Gingelly Oil
1) Wash and clean the Gooseberries. Pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles with out water, I have kept the gooseberries in a separate bowl while cooking rice in same pressure cooker.
2) Leave it to cool down and remove the seeds.
3) Mash the gooseberries to fine paste. I have used my Pav bhaji masher.
4) Heat oil in a kadai and add Hing then add Mustard seeds to crackle.
6) After 5 mins, add turmeric powder, Red chilli powder and salt. Mix them well and leave them to get cooked in oil.
7) After it leaves oil on sides and gooseberry decrease to 3/4th of its quantity, add feenugreek powder and mix well. Switch off the flame and Leave it to cool down before you transfer to a glass container.