Wheat Rava Idli/Godhmai Rava idli is a tasty Idli prepared instantly with healthy Wheat Ravas/Broken wheat.
This is a fiber rich recipe that suits for diabetic and weight watchers. I have already posted Rava Idli recipe with normal sooji/rava.
- 1 cup Wheat Rava/Cracked wheat/Broken wheat/Godhumai Rava
- 3/4 cup thick Curd
- 1/2 Carrot (grated)
- 1 ladle Green peas
- 1/2 inch Ginger (finely chopped)
- A spring Curry leaves (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp Urad dal
- 2 tsp Channa dal
- A pinch Hing
- 2 tbsp Oil
1) Dry roast the wheat rava till nice aroma. Transfer the roasted rava to a bowl and heat oil in the same kadai. Add mustard seeds to crackle next add Channa dal, Urad dal, hing and fry till light brown.
2) Now add carrot, green peas, ginger, Curd, curry leaves, coriander leaves, salt and mix well.
3) Add seasoning mixture to rava batter and mix well.
4) Add 1 cup of water, mix well and leave it to rest for 20 minutes. After 20 mins, rava would have absorbed all the water and would form a thick batter. Batter needs to be similar to Idli batter consistency.
5) Grease the idli plates with little oil and pour the Rava batter.
6) Steam it for 10 minutes. After Idlis are cooked, it will puff up nicely and when you insert a fork in idlis it will come out clean. If the fork is sticky with batter, steam cook for few more minutes. Remove the idli mould and leave it to cool for few minutes.
7) Now remove the idlis from the mould and serve them.
1) I have not used Eno fruit salt or Soda, you can add it to rava batter just before steaming. If you are preparing idli's in batches, then divide the batter and add the Eno salt to the one you are steaming immediately.
2) Do not try to take the idlis from idli mould when it is hot, leave it to cool down for few minutes after taking the mould out of idli cooker. If you try to take idlis when it is hot it might break.
3) You can use idli cooker or pressure cooker or electric rice cooker to steam the idlis. I have used electric rice cooker.
4) You can also add few fried broken cashews to batter. Also adding finely chopped green chillies gives spicy taste. You can also add 2 tbsp of grated coconut to batter.
5) I have used fine wheat rava for this idli, if you have the bigger ones then give 1 or 2 pulse in mixer.