Rava Idli is one of the tasty and easy to prepare breakfast recipe. Also these Rava Idlis are one of the Karnataka special recipe which goes well with Coconut Chutney.
Do you want to know how these Rava idlis are invented?????
During World War II there was a shortage for Rice and so as an alternative, Idlis made of Rava were claimed to be invented by Karnataka's popular chain of hotels MTR (source wiki)
- 1 cup Rava/Sooji
- 1/4 cup Grated coconut
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 1 sachet Eno fruit salt (I have used Lemon flavour)
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Channa dal
- 2 tsp Urad dal
- 6-8 Broken Cashews
- A pinch Asafoetida/Hing
- 3 tsp Oil
- 2 tsp Ghee
Veggies to add:
- 1/4 cup Carrot (grated)
- 2 tbsp Green peas
- 1/2 tsp Ginger (Skin peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 Green chilli (finely chopped)
- A spring Curry leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
1) Heat Ghee in a kadai and add Cashews, fry them till golden brown and keep aside.
2) Now add Oil to rest of the ghee in the kadai, and add Mustard seeds to crackle. Then add Channa dal, Urad dal and fry till light brown.
3) Add Asafoetida and Rava, fry them till nice aroma arises and transfer to a mixing bowl.
4) After the rava cools down, add Green chilli, Ginger, Curry leaves and Coriander leaves, mix them well.
5) Next add Carrot, Coconut, Green peas and salt, mix them well.
6) Finally add Curd to rava mixture and mix well. Mix water little by little to form a consistency of Idli batter. Leave it to rest for 20 mins.
7) Boil water in idli cooker and grease the idli plates and drop roasted cashews in moulds as shown in pic.
8) Now add Eno salt to rava batter and mix it. You will be able to see small bubbles coming up.
9) Pour this rava batter in Idli moulds and keep in idli cooker (Or pressure cooker, or Electric rice cooker) for steaming. Steam cook the Rava idlis.
10) After Idlis are cooked, it will puff up nicely and when you insert a fork in idlis it will come out clean. If the fork is sticky with batter, steam cook for few more minutes. Remove the idli mould from Idli cooker and leave it to cool for few minutes.
11) Now remove the idli's and serve hot with your favourite chutneys.
Tasty Rava Idli's are ready.
1) Eno salt needs to be added to rava batter just before steaming. If you are preparing idli's in batches, then divide the batter and add the Eno salt to the one you are steaming immediately.