Maravalli kizhangu vadai is a spicy vadai prepared with Cassava/Kuchikilangu .
Maravalli kizhangu/Kuchi kizhangu/Cassava/Maragenasu/Kappa/Kavva Pendulam are the different names of this Yucca Root. As it is high in carbohydrates, these roots gives loads of energy and helps in weight gain. So these Cassava roots are suitable for persons with more physical work or growing children who needs lots of energy. Instead of Junk foods, this Cassava vada serves a great evening snack for Kids.
If you are weight watcher or having Diabetes better to stay away from them or consume very little amount.
- 1 medium size piece Cassava/Maravalli kizhangu
- 1/2 cup Channa dal/Kadalai paruppu
- 2 tsp Rice flour
- 2 Green chillies
- 3-4 Garlic
- 1 inch length Ginger
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds/Sombu
- A pinch Hing/Asafoetida powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (Finely chopped)
- A spring Curry leaves (Finely chopped)
- As per taste Salt
- For frying Oil
1) Soak Channa Dal for 2 hours. After 2 hours, drain water and set aside.
2) Peel the skin of Cassava and wash it thoroughly to remove any mud. Now grate the Cassava and set aside.
2) In a mixer add Ginger, Garlic, Fennel seeds, Green chillies and give 2 pulse so that they gets ground coarsely.
3) Now add soaked Channa dal and give 1 or 2 pulse to grind coarsely like how we do for Masala Vadai.
4) Add grated Cassava and give 1 pulse. Transfer the ground mixture to a bowl and add Rice flour, Corriander leaves, curry leaves, Salt, Hing and mix well.
5) Heat oil in a kadai, now take a small portion of vadai mixture and make a round shapped ball and flatten them.
6) Drop the flattened vadai in hot oil and fry them in medium flame. After one side is cooked, flip it around to cook other side.
7) Once both sides are cooked, remove from oil and drop of kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
8) Repeat the same for rest of the vadai mixture. You can also drop 3-4 vadais in oil at the same time.
Yummy Cassava Vadai is ready..
1) Instead of Rice flour, you can also use Rice. Soak 1/4 cup of rice separately and grind it along with Channa dal. If you add Rice instead of Rice flour it gives more crunchy vadais.
2) If you dont want Ginger and Garlic flavour, you can avoid them and add only fennel seeds.
3) In addition to green chillies, you can also add Red chillies.