Banana flower/Vazhaipoo thogayal is a tasty and healthy recipe that goes well with Hot steaming Rice. Including Banana flower in our diet regularly gives immerse health benefits.
In Banana flower, remove the flowers part from each big cover. Again remove the stamen and small outer cover from each flower. Chop them and immerse in a bowl of butter milk. For detailed process, click on How to clean and cut Vazhaipoo
- 2 cups Banana flower/Vazhaipoo (Chopped)
- 1/2 inch length Ginger (Skin peeled)
- A gooseberry size Tamarind
- 1/2 tsp Jaggery
- As per taste Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Channa dal
- 1 tbsp Urad dal
- A small piece Bar Hing
- 2 Red chillies
- 1 tsp Oil
1) Heat oil in a Kadai/Heavy bottom pan and add Hing and fry. Next add Red chillies and give a quick fry. Finally add Urad dal and Channa dal and fry till light brown.
2) Drain the Butter milk from Vazhai poo and add it to kadai. Fry the Banana flower till it gets cooked.
3) Transfer them to a bowl and leave it to cool down.
4) Add Ginger, Tamarind, Jaggery, fried Vazhaipoo mixture, Salt and grind to coarse paste by sprinkling enough water as and when needed.
Tasty and Healthy Banana flower thogayal is ready...