Mango Payasam is a delicious dessert that is perfect for the season.
Mango payasam/Mambazha payasam was something new to me until I tried at one of my relatives house who is an excellent cook and served us with this yummy dessert. I really loved the flavour and taste of this Mango payasam. I noted the recipe and with some alterations tried it at my home for guests. They all loved the payasam and was asking for refill the cups with more of Payasam:).
- 2 medium size Mangoes (Fully ripe)
- 1 litre Milk
- A pinch Saffron
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
- 5-6 Cashews (sliced thinly)
- 3-4 Almonds (sliced thinly)
- 6-7 tsp Sugar (alter according to sweetness)
1) Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan/kadai till it reaches half of its quantity. Keep a laddle to avoid spilling.
2) Add Saffron, Cardamom powder, Cashew, Almonds and leave it to boil for 5 more minutes and switch off the flame.
3) Peel the skin of mango and chop it into pieces. Reserve some pieces and grind the rest by adding sugar.
4) After the milk is completely cooled, add the ground mango paste and the pieces. Mix well.
5) Refrigerate it and serve chilled.....yummy mango payasam is ready.
1) Instead of Almond and Cashews slices, you can temper cashews and raisins in ghee and add to payasam after step 4.
2) If you want this payasam to be little thick, mix 1/4 tsp of Corn flour in milk and add at step 2.
3) If you add the mango puree and keep boiling the milk, it will curdle the milk. So it is better to add the Mango puree after milk is cool.
4) If you want an appealing look, try to use nice orange coloured pulp variety of mangoes instead of yellow ones.