Vadu manga/Maavadu Pickle is prepared during Summer Season with small tender Mangoes and this pickle goes well with Curd Rice. These Vadu mangas or Tender mangoes are seasonal and available only during Summer Season. Choose fresh Tender mangoes of same size with stalks for this pickle.
There are 2 varieties of Tender mangoes, they are called Urundai vadu and Neetta vadu in Tamil. The ones with round shape are Urundai vadu which I have used here, other one is little lengthy and called as Neetta vadu. You can use any Vadu as per your choice.
- 1 kg Vadu manga/Maavadu/Tender mangoes
- 1 ladle Red chilli powder
- 3 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek powder
- 1 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 2 ladle Rock Salt
- As required Castor Oil
- 1 Cup Gingelly/Sesame oil
1) Trim the stalk portion leaving small portion in mangoes. Wash and clean the Tender mangoes. Spread it on a towel and pat them to dry.
2) Apply one coat of Castor oil on Tender mangoes and leave it for few minutes. Mean time grind Rock salt in Mixer to fine powder. Now add the ground Salt, Turmeric powder to Mangoes and mix well. Leave it for 2 days to let Tender mangoes to absorb the salt.
3) On Second day, first grind Mustard seeds in mixer and keep aside. Add Red chilli powder, Fenugreek powder, Mustard seeds powder, Gingelly oil to Tender mangoes and mix well. Keep it covered and set aside. Daily give a quick mix. It will take about a week's time to shrink in size and absorb the spice powders.
Now Tasty Vadu manga/Maavadu is ready to pair up Curd rice.
1) Fenugreek powder: Dry roast Fenugreek seeds till nice aroma in medium flame. After it cools grind it and store it in an airtight container. You can use this powder for pickles and sambar.
2) You can alter the quantity Red chilli powder and salt according to your taste.