Nungu Payasam/Ice apple kheer is a delicious dessert made with Palm fruit (Nungu/Iceapple). This is Ice apple is a seasonal fruit available only during summer season.
Wanna know more about Nungu, click here.
- 3 Nungus/Ice apple/Palm fruit
- 3/4 litre Milk
- Few strands Saffron
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 5-6 tsps Sugar (alter according to sweetness)
1) Peel the skin and chop the nungus into small pieces. If you have trouble peeling the nungus, try my method of using knife to peel skin.
2) Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan till it reaches half of its quantity.
3) Add Saffron and leave it to boil for few more minutes for Saffron to leave its colour in milk.
4) Add Sugar, Cardamom powder and leave it to boil for 5 more minutes.
5) Switch off the flame and add chopped nungus/Ice apple.
Yummy Ice apple payasam is ready....refrigerate it and serve chilled.
1) I have made this kheer as simple, you can also add condensed milk for added creamy taste but make sure to adjust sugar quantity accordingly.
2) For richness, you can also soak few almonds and cashews, grind them and add the paste.
3) As we do for traditional payasam, you can also fry few cashews and raisins in ghee and add finally.