Iyengar Milagu kuzhambu is a traditional healthy kuzhambu made with Pepper as main Ingredient.
This Milagu kuzhambu is made with slight variation of preparing Instant Milagu kuzhambu powder in advance. I got this recipe from my Mom, she prepares Milagu kuzhambu powder well in advance and stores in Airtight container. When we ask for Milagu kuzhambu she prepares easily in minutes.
Highlight about this kuzhambu is she adds many healthy ingredients like Sundakkai, Vempampoo, Vendayam other than Pepper but never got the bitter taste in kuzhambu.
Ingredients for Milagu Kuzhambu powder:
- 1 laddle Black Pepper
- 5 Red chillies
- 2 laddle Toor dal
- 10 nos Sundakkai vathal (Dried Turkey Berry)
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tbsp Veppam poo (Dried Neem flower)
- A small piece Asafoetida
- 2 cups Curry leaves
1) Heat few drops of oil and roast Asafoetida. Next add all the ingredients and dry roast till nice aroma. Transfer the ingredients to a plate to cool down.
2) Grind the roasted ingrediants to coarse mixture. Leave it to cool for few minutes and transfer to an airtight container.
This powder comes handy to prepare the kuzhmbu in a jiffy. Also it can be stored for months.
Ingredients for Kuzhambu:
- 2 tbsp Milagu kuzhambu powder
- 1/2 tbsp Jaggery
- 1 Gooseberry size Tamarind
- 2 tsp Gingelly oil (Nallennai)
- As per taste Salt
1) Soak Tamarind in warm water, extract juice from pulp and keep aside
2) Heat 2 tsp Gingelly oil and add the Milagu kuzhambu powder and fry.
3) Add Jaggery, Salt, Tamarind juice and mix well.
4) Boil this kuzhambu till frothy and switch off the flame.
Healthy milagu kuzhambu is ready...