This Mung sprouts aloo tikki/ Cutlet/Patties is a delicious evening snack recipe made with Mung beans and potato. Moong Sprouts/Mung sprouts/Sprouted green gram/pachai payaru is a wonderful legume with loads of nutritional value.
Other recipes with mung beans are
Ingredients: Serves 10-12 tikkis
- 2 cups Green gram/Mung bean
- 1 medium size Potato
- 2 tsp Rice flour
- 1 Green chilli (Finely chopped)
- 1 inch Ginger (Skin peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (Finely chopped)
- As per taste Salt
- For frying Oil
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Amchur powder/Dried Mango powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Jeera powder
1) Wash and soak Mung bean/Green gram overnight. Next day, drain water and transfer it to a cotton cloth and wrap it. Small sprouts will start developing in after 6-7 hours.
2) Pressure cook potato and keep aside. After it cools peel the skin.
3) Steam the sprouted Mung bean or boil them in water till they are half cooked. You can use electric rice cooker or if using pressure cooker leave for one quick whistle. I kept the sprouts in a separate bowl with out adding water and cooked, this way sprouts don't turn mushy. When you press a cooked sprout it should not get mashed instead it should break into halves and retain its shape.
3) Leave it to cool and refrigerate it for 1 hour then mash it slightly using a potato masher. Next add the cooked potato and mash it.
4) Add Ginger, Green chillies, Rice flour, Spice powders, Salt, Coriander leaves and mix well with your hands or ladle.
5) Take equal size balls and flatten them all.
6) Heat a tawa, and drop these tikkis. Drizzle oil on sides and leave it to get crispy on one side.
7) Flip it around carefully using Dosa spatula and drizzle few more oil to cook other side.
8) After both sides or cooked, remove from tawa and serve hot.
Tasty Green gram tikkis are ready...we enjoyed them with Tomato sauce.
1) You can also add some chopped mint leaves for a variation and nice mint flavour or you can also add finely chopped palak/Spinach leaves for adding more nutrition.
2) I have prepared a NO onion NO garlic recipe. If you want to add Onions, finely chop 1 onion and fry in oil and add tikki mixture. Also you can add Ginger-Garlic paste replacing finely chopped ginger.
3) Instead of shallow fry, you can also do deep fry in oil.