This Keerai thandu Kootu is a tasty and easy kootu prepared with leftover stems of Spinach/Palak.
You can also prepare the same kootu with other keerais but make sure to select only the tender stems. I have already posted on how to prepare delicious Keerai thandu Sambar with left over spinach stems.
- Left over Stems from 1 bunch of Palak Keerai/Spinach
- 1/2 cup Moong dal
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- As per taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 2 tsp Ghee
1) Wash and clean the thandu/Stem, remove the stem part if any. Chop the thandu and keep aside. Also pressure cook moong dal and keep aside.
2) Heat ghee in a kadai and add cumin seeds after it crackles add Urad dal and fry till light brown.
3) Add thandu and mix well. Now add 1/2 cup of water and close it with a lid to cook.
4) After it is cooked, add cooked moong dal, salt and curry powder. Leave it to cook for few minutes and switch off the flame.
Tasty Keerai thandu kootu is ready.
1) If you don't have this curry powder, you can also substitute with 2 tsp Sambar powder + 2 tsp Coriander powder.
2) You can also grind Coconut along with curry powder and add.
3) If you prefer to do the seasoning at last then skip step 2. While seasoning, you can also add finely chopped onions according to your taste.