Chickpeas is a protein rich legume which is used in many cuisines.
In Karnataka, we get these Green chickpeas/Soppu kadale/Hasi Kadale Kaalu which is nothing but the fresh form of Brown channa.
These Kadale Kalu are seasonal and can be eaten raw for its sweet taste.
Road side vendors sell these green chickpeas with its plant (soppu). You need to remove the chick peas/ kadalekaalu separately from its plant and again need to remove its outer cover to get the chickpeas/Kadalekalu.
Brown channa needs soaking but this green ones don't need soaking time. This Hasi Kadale Kaalu palya/Hasi kadale Kalu usili/Green chickpeas sundal can be prepared easily and is a healthy protein rich recipe.
- 1/2 cup Green chick peas/Hasi Kadale kalu
- 2 tbsp Grated Coconut
- As per taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Red chilli
- A spring Curry leaves
- A pinch Asafoetida/Hing
1) Pressure cook Green chickpeas with enough water for 2 whistles. After it cools, drain water from chickpeas.
2) Heat oil in a kadai/Pan and add Mustard seeds to crackle.
3) Add Asafoetida, Red chilli and curry leaves, fry them.
4) Next add Green chickpeas, salt and Coconut, mix well and switch off the flame.
Tasty Green chickpeas Sundal/Hasi Kadale kaalu palya is ready.
1) If you want this palya to be spicy, add finely chopped green chillies.