In South Indian Marriages this Pongal gotsu/Kalyana gotsu is served with tiffen items especially with pongal. This gotsu can be made easily and goes well with Idli and Dosa too.
I have already posted onion gotsu/Puli gotsu made with out dals, click here to get the recipe.
- 3/4 cup Moong dal
- 1 tbsp Toor dal
- 1 tbsp Channa dal
- 3 Brinjal (chopped)
- 2 Tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 tsp Sambar powder
- 3 tbsp Tamarid juice (thick)
- 1/2 tsp Jaggery
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (Finely chopped)
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- A small piece Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 Red chilli (spit as half)
- 1 Green chilli (Slit vertically)
- A spring Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Oil
1) Mix all the dals together and wash them. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add mustard seeds to crackle, then add Asafoetida, red chilli, green chilli, Curry leaves and fry them.
2) Now add Tomatoes and Brinjal, fry them till tomatoes gets cooked.
3) Add washed dals and 1 cup of water, leave it to boil for few minutes and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
4) After it cools down, open the pressure cooker and add tamarind juice, Sambar powder, Jaggery, Salt and leave it to boil for few minutes.
5) Switch off the flame and garnish with Coriander leaves.
Tasty Kalyana gotsu is ready.
1) In marriages, they add chopped turnip along with Brinjal. You can also add other veggies like carrot, potato, beans, onion of your choice.