Onion Gotsu is my favourite side dish for idli/dosa/upma/pongal. When I get bored of making chutney or sambar as side dish for tiffens, I always opt for this gotsu as it is a tasty recipe which doesn't take much of your time to prepare.
My recipe for Gotsu is prepared with out cooked moong dal. But in marriages, they serve a different type of gotsu called Kalyana Gotsu in which cooked moong dal is added. I will soon post that Gotsu recipe too.
2 Onion (Chopped finely)
1 Tomatoes (Chopped finely)
2 Green chilli (Slit length wise)
1 gooseberry size Tamarind
1/2 tbsp Jaggery
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
2 tbsp Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
As per taste Salt
1 laddle (kuzhi karandi) Sesame oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Channa dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1 Red chilli
A pinch Asafoetida/Hing
A spring Curry leaves
1) Add warm water to tamarind and keep aside. Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds.
2) Add Asafoetida, Red chillies, channa dal and Urad dal, fry till light brown. Now add curry leaves and fry.
3) Add Green chlli, Chilli powder, chopped onion and tomatoes, fry till they become soft.
4) Make tamarind paste by removing the fibers, dilute it by adding a cup of water. Add this dilute tamarind water, jaggery, and salt to onion tomato mixture.
5) Let it boil for 5-10 mins and switch off the flame. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Tasty Gotsu is ready....
1) Spiciness can be altered according to your taste.
2) If you love the flavour, you can add more coriander leaves too.
3) Adding more oil makes this gotsu tasty, that is why I have mentioned 1 laddle.