Broken wheat kheer/Goduma rava payasam/Dalia kheer is a tasty and nutritious kheer prepared with broken wheat. Broken wheat/Cracked wheat/Dalia/Lapsi is one of the most sought healthy alternative for Rice.
Broken wheat is not polished and so it contains all nutritional value of outer Bran layer. Weight watchers and people having sugar complaint prefer Broken wheat instead of Rice.
Broken wheat comes in range of sizes and I have used the medium size to prepare this Kheer. Another interesting sweet recipe made with dalia is Broken wheat sweet pongal, click here to get the recipe.
- 1/2 cup Broken wheat
- 1 litre Milk
- 6-7 tsp Sugar (adjust according to your taste)
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp Broken Cashews
- 1 tbsp Raisins
- 2 tsp Ghee
Method to Cook broken wheat:
1) Wash and clean the broken wheat, add 1 cup of water.
2) Pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles and keep aside.
Method for Kheer:
1) Heat ghee in a kadai and add Cashews to fry. After they turn light brown, add Raisins and fry till they puff up. Transfer them to a bowl.
2) In the same Kadai add milk and leave it to boil in medium flame till it reaches half of its quantity.
3) Add cooked broken wheat and mix well with your ladle. If you see any lumps, break it with ladle. Leave it to cook in milk for 10-15 mins.
4) Add Sugar, Cardamom powder and mix well.
5) Add Cashews and raisins, give a quick mix and switch off the flame.
Tasty Dalia kheer/Goduma rava payasam is ready.
1) You can also add 2-3 tbsp of milk maid to get nice creamy consistency, but do remember to adjust sugar quantity accordingly.
2) You can also garnish with silvered almonds by skipping Cashews and raisins.
3) You can also add few strand of Saffron to add nice flavour and colour to kheer.