Every one would have tasted sweet pongal made out of rice. I am not a big fan of sweet pongal but when my mom made this out of broken wheat, it was so delicious.
I started making this pongal for my guests and they all appreciated me and asked me the recipe as well. The moment I talk about broken wheat everyone will think that it is only for diabetes people, but on the contrary it is a sweet for any occasion.
Try this pongal once and taste it.You will also become a fan of this pongal.
Broken wheat differs in variety. Some might be big kernels and some might be medium or fine. You can use any variety.
1 cup broken wheat
3/4 cup jaggery
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp Cardomom powder
1 tbsp Ghee
1 tbsp cashews
1/2 tsp raisins
2 tbsp grated coconut
a pinch of pachai karpooram (edible camphor)
There are two parts in cooking this recipe
We need to cook broken wheat first. Whichever way suits, you can opt it. If you are cooking the broken wheat for the first time, you can go for second one.
1) You can pressure cook in rice cooker by adding 11/4 (approx)cups of water with normal whistles like cooking rice. Water measurement differs according to kernels. Make sure you cook them as separate grains and should not stick together. If you have electric rice cooker, it cooks as separate grains easily.
2) You can dry roast the broken wheat in kadai and add water and slowly stir them in low flame till it gets cooked.
Keep aside cooked broken wheat to get cooled.
Mix jaggery with 3/4 cup of warm water and strain to remove impurities.
Heat a kadai, add ghee, cashews and raisins and fry till golden brown. Keep aside this mixture.
Now add this jaggery water and sugar to same kadai and mix well.
Bring it to boil for 5 mins in low flame with continuous stirring.
Add the cooked broken wheat, and stir well.
Turn off the gas and add cardamom powder, edible camphor, cashews, raisins and grated coconut and mix well.
Tasty pongal is ready to be served.
1) Instead of sugar, you can add same amount of kalkandu (rock candy) powder. It tastes more delicious.
2) Finally you can add 1 extra tbsp of ghee for added taste.
3) Adding few strands of saffron gives a rich taste. You can mix it in 1 tbsp of milk and add to this pongal finally.