Ridge gourd grabs its special position in Indian kitchens for its immerse health benefits. This Ridge gourd kootu is given regularly to new mothers to restore their health soon.
Indian names of Ridge gourd are Peerkangai (Tamil), Tori/Thurai (Hindi), Herekai (Kannada), Beerakaya (Telugu) and Peechinga (Malayalam)
- 1 Ridgegourd/Peerkangai (Outer skin peeled and chopped as pieces)
- 1/3 cup Masoor dal
- 1/3 cup Yellow moong dal
- 2 tbsp Curry powder
- As per taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Ghee
How to prepare Curry powder:
Curry powder is an easy multi purpose powder that you can prepare at home. It comes handy when you prepare poriyal, kootu, sambar etc. I have already given separate post on how to prepare this powder in bulk, click here to get the recipe.
In case, you want to prepare only for this kootu follow this procedure.
Ingredients for curry powder:
- 2 tsp Channa dal/Bengal gram
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- A small piece Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 Red chilli
- A drop Oil
1) Heat a kadai with a drop of cooking oil, add a small piece of Asafoetida after it gets reoasted, add Red chillies and fry.
2) Then add Channa dal, Urad dal, Coriander seeds, fry till nice aroma arises. Let it ccool down, then grind them to coarse mixture.
1) Wash the dals/Lentils and trasfer to cooker with 1/2 cup water.
2) Add the Ridgegourd/Peerkangai, a pinch turmeric powder, a drop of cooking oil to the dals.
3) Steam cook for 3 whistles.
4) After the pressure subsides, open the lid and add curry powder and salt.
5) Heat the kootu to boil for 10 minutes in low flame then switch off the flame.
6) Heat Ghee in a kadai/pan and add Cumin seeds to crackle. Then add urad dal, fry till they become golden brown.
7) Pour this seasoning mixture on kootu.
Tasty kootu is ready...
My other recipe with ridge gourd is Ridge gourd chutney/peerkangai thogayal.
1) You can also add finely chopped curry leaves and Coriander leaves.
2) Grinding 1 tbsp of grated coconut, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp pepper to smooth paste and adding to this kootu will give a different taste.
3) If you don't have this curry powder handy, you can replace with Sambar powder.
4) If you don't have Masoor dal, you can also add Toor dal or use Yellow moong dal alone.