Peerkangai thogayal/Ridge gourd chutney goes well with Hot steaming rice as well as Idli and Dosas.
Ridge gourd is dark green veggie with ridges. When you scrap off the green skin, you can see white pulp portion which is used in this chutney. It has immerse health benefits and it is one the allowed veggie for postpartum food for new moms.
- 1 Ridge gourd
- A small piece Asafoetida/Hing
- 1 Red chilli
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp whole Urad dal
- 1 inch lengh Ginger (skin peeled)
- 1/2 gooseberry size Tamarind
- 1/2 tsp Jaggery
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves
- A drop Oil
- As per taste Salt
1) Scrap off the outer green skin of ridge gourd and chop the white pulp as cubes.
2) Heat oil in a kadai, roast asafoetida then add Red chillies, Pepper, Urad dal and fry till dal turns light brown. Transfer it to a plate to cool down.
3) Add chopped ridge gourd to same kadai and fry in low flame sprinkling few water. After ridge gourd gets cooked, switch off the flame.
4) Grind Asafoetida, red chillies, pepper, urad dal, tamarid, ginger and salt to a coarse mixture.
5) Then add corriander leaves, jaggery and cooked ridge gourd and grind to smooth paste.
Tasty Peerkangai thogayal is ready
1) You can also add few curry leaves while roasting dal and grind it with peerkangai.