Rava upma is one of the easy to prepare breakfast dishes.
- 1 Cup Rava/Sooji
- 2 Onions (Sliced vertically)
- 1/2 Cup Green peas
- 1/2 Capsicum (Sliced vertically)
- 1 Green chilli (Finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Ginger (Skin peeled and finely chopped)
- 2.5 cups Water
- 1 tsbp Coriander leaves (Finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Channa Dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- A small piece Asafoetida/Hing
- 2 Red chillies
- A spring Curry leaves
1) Heat a Kadai/Pan, dry roast Rava/Sooji in medium flame till nice aroma arises. Transfer it to a plate to cool down.
2) Heat oil in the kadai and add Mustard seeds to crackle. After it crackles add Asafoetida and roast.
3) Add all the ingredients given in "For Seasoning", fry them till dals turn light brown.
4) Add Onion, Green peas, Capsicum, Green chillies and Ginger, fry till onions turn light brown.
5) Add water and salt, leave it to boil for 2 minutes so that the veggies gets cooked.
6) Now add Rava slowly in sprinkling manner and mix well with ladle to avoid forming lumps. Keep on stirring till rava absorbs all water.
7) Now close it with a lid to cook for 5 more minutes.
8) After the rava is cooked completely, add coriander leaves, ghee and lemon juice. Mix well and switch off the flame.
Tasty Rava upma is ready.
1) You can add any veggies like carrot, beans according to your choice.
2) Along with onions some prefer to add tomatoes to get the tangy taste. Skip adding lemon juice if you are adding tomatoes.
3) Adding ghee gives nice flavour to upma, you can skip it if you are diet conscious.
4) I have dry roasted the rava, you can also add 2 tsp of Ghee or Oil and roast the rava in it.