Avarekalu usli is a tasty Karnataka special recipe.
When I was talking to my friend about traditional recipes prepared using avarekaalus (other than the ones that I have already posted Hitkida Avarekalu, Avarekalu Huli), she shared the recipe of Avarekalu Usli.
- 1 Cup Avarekalu (Pachai Mochai/Hyacinth beans) (deskinned)*
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Green chilli (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Ginger (skin peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- A pinch Asafoetida/Hing
- A spring Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
We need to remove the outer skin of Avarekalu to get the beans (like how we do for green peas)
1) Pressure cook Avarekalu with enough water and salt. Drain water from cooked Avarekalu and keep aside.
2) Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds. After it crackles, add Asafoetida, Curry leaves and fry.
3) Then add Onion, Ginger and Green chilli and fry till onion turns light brown.
4) Add cooked Avarekalu and salt, and give a quick fry.
5) Add grated coconut and mix well.
Tasty Avarekalu Usli is ready.
1) You can also garnish with fresh coriander leaves for extra flavour.