Banana stem/ Plantain stem is a wonderful food with loads of nutrients and high fibre content. This Vazhaithandu thayir pachai is a tasty and healthy raita that goes well with Sambar rice.
- 1/2 Banana stem/plantain stem/Vazhaithandu
- 1 cup Curd
- As per taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ginger (skin peeled and chopped)
- 1 Green chilli
- 1 tbsp Coconut
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Oil
- Few curry leaves
1) Remove the outer layer of stem and scrap off the next layer to get the inner most layer.
2) Slice it into pieces and put them in buttermilk.
3) Grind the ingrediants given in "To grind" to coarse mixture.
4) Add the banana stem and salt to this mixture and grind to fine paste.
5) Whisk the curd nicely and add this banana stem mixture to it and mix well.
6) Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds.
7) After it crackles add curry leaves and switch off the flame.
8) Pour this seasoning mixture over raita and mix well.
Video on how to cut Banana stem:
1) Instead of grinding, you can also chop the banana stem into small pieces and add.
2) You can also prepare this raita with out coconut.
For Vazhaithandu poriyal recipe, click here.