Plantain Stem is very good for health as it is rich in Fiber Potassium and Vitamin B6. Plantain Stem juice helps in reducing weight. It also helps to prevent kidney stones.
This Plantain Stem poriyal is easy to cook as well as tasty also.
- 1 Plantain Stem
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Split Urad dal
- pinch Asafoetida powder
- 1 no Red Chilli
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tbsp Grated coconut
- 2 tsp Cooking oil
- As per taste Salt
1) Remove the outer layer of stem and scrap the next layer to get the inner most layer.
2) Slice the stem into small pieces and put them in butter milk.
3) Heat kadai(wok), add Oil and Mustard Seeds to it.
4) After it crackles, add Urad dal, Asefoetida and Red chilli.
5) Once it turns light brown in colour, add the sliced stem to kadai from the buttermilk.
6) Sprinkle 1 tbsp of buttermilk to stem and close the lid to allow it to get cooked.
7) Once it is cooked, add salt and grated coconut.
8) If it is not cooked, you can add few more buttermilk.
This makes tasty and healthy side dish for Rasam or Sambar rice.
Video for chopping Banana stem: