Tomato rice/Thakali Sadam is easy to make and tasty as well. Onion raita is a best combination for this Rice. When I get bored of making sambar or rasams, I switch to variety rice for a change. These variety rice are not only tasty but also saves our time spent in kitchen.
If you check out the health benefits of tomato, it is good for our Eyesight and Heart.
For more rice varieties, click here.
- 2 cups Parboiled or Steamed rice
- 2 medium size Onions (Chopped vertically)
- 5-6 medium size Tomatoes (Chopped finely)
- 2 Green chillies (Slit length wise)
- Few Curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Channa dal
- 1 tbsp Urad dal
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 2 tbsp Oil
1) Wash and drain water from rice and keep aside. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add Mustard seeds to crackle.
2) Add Asafoetida, Channa dal and urad dal, fry till golden brown.
3) Next add onion, Green chillies and curry leaves, fry till onion turns light brown.
4) Add tomatoes and fry till they turn mushy. Add Rice and fry for few more minutes.
5) Now add Turmeric powder, Salt and water, let it boil for few minutes.
6) Finally add Garam masala and Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
7) After it cools, open the lid and mix well.
Tasty Tomato Rice is ready to be served.
1) You can also add few Mint leaves or Coriander leaves for extra flavour.
2) Garlic can be chopped finely and added while frying onions.
3) If you have left over rice, then prepare this Onion tomato mixture and add to rice and mix well.
4) I always prefer parboiled or steamed rice for cooking variety rice, you can also replace with raw rice or basmati rice.
5) Nattu thakkali (Natti/local variety) give sour taste and Bangalore thakkali (Hybrid variety) give nice red colour so I prefer 3 Naattu thakkal and 3 Bangalore thakkali.