Rajma/Red kidney beans masala is a popular dish in India.
I have already made Rajma masala in a different method using whole spices and melon seeds, click here to get the recipe. In this recipe, I have used spice powder and prepared this masala with out Garlic.
- 1 cup Rajma
- 2 medium size onions (skin peeled and chopped as cubes)
- 3 tomatoes (chopped as cubes)
- 1 inch length Ginger (skin peeled)
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Rajma masala
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 ladle oil
- As per taste Salt
1) Wash and soak Rajma overnight. Next day pressure cook it with enough water and salt for 5 whistles. Rajma needs to be cooked soft but should not turn mushy.
2) Grind onion and ginger to smooth paste. Heat oil in a kadai and add ground onion and ginger mixture. Fry this mixture till it turns light brown and leaves oil on sides.
3) Grind tomato to fine paste, add this tomato purée to onion mixture and fry till it gets cooked nicely and leaves oil.
4) Add Red chilli powder, Rajma masala and salt, sauté the mixture for masala to blend with the onion tomato mixture.
5) Add cooked Rajma with water to the masala, let it cook in medium flame for 15-20 minutes.
6) Take 1 onion, peel the skin and chop the raw onion as rings and add 4-5 rings to this masala.
7) Finally garnish with fresh coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
Tasty Rajma masala is ready.
1) You can also add 1 tbsp of fresh cream after adding onion rings.
2) You can also substitute Rajma masala with Garam masala.