Rajma (Kidney beans) is a popular bean in India and rich in nutritional values. Rajma masala is a famous punjabi dish that can pair up with roti and rice. This Rajma masala can be made in many ways depending on our taste and this is my way of making this yummy masala.
- 1 cup Rajma/kidney beans
- 1 Green chilli( slit lenght wise)
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Kasuri methi
- 1 tbsp fresh cream
- 3 tbsp Oil
- As per taste salt
Masala powder to add:
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Amchur powder
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
Whole Spices to add:
- 1 Black cardamom
- 2 Green cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Cloves
- 2 small pieces of cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 Onion (finely chopped)
- 3 Tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp melon seeds*
1) Soak rajma over night.
2) Next day pressure cook it with enough water and some salt for 5 whistles. Rajma should get cooked well, but make sure that it does not get mushy and lose its shape.
Method for preparing masala:
2) Add ginger garlic paste and fry for few mins.
3) Now add tomatoes and fry till they become mushy. Add melon seeds and fry for few more mins.
4) Switch off the flame and let the mixture cool down.
5) After it cools, grind it to smooth paste.
7) Add ground paste and fry for few mins. Add the masala powder and mix well.
8) Now add cooked cooked rajma with water. Also add salt and mix well.
9) Let them cook for 5-10 mins, now add kasuri methi and coriander leaves.
10) Add fresh cream and switch off the flame.
1)* I have replaced cashews with melon seeds for a diet friendly recipe but it gave the same taste as we add cashews.
2) At the final stages (after point 10), raw onion is cut as rings and added. It gets half cooked and tastes crunchy when we eat.
3) If you are using rajma masala, you can skip garam masala.