Green gram/Moong bean sprouts have high fiber content and offers many health benefits. This Moong sprouts subzi is a tasty and healthy side dish for roti.
- 1 cup Green gram
- 2 Onion (skin peeled and chopped as cubes)
- 3 Tomatoes (chopped as cubes)
- 1 Potato (skin peeled and chopped as cubes)
- 1 inch length Ginger (skin peeled)
- 2-3 Garlic pods (skin peeled)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi (Dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Oil
- As per taste Salt
1) Wash and soak the green gram overnight. Drain the water transfer it to a cotton cloth and wrap it. Small sprouts will start developing in after 6-7 hours.
2) Grind Onion, ginger and garlic to fine paste. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds. After it splutters, add onion mixture.
3) Fry the mixture in medium flame till this mixture turns light brown and oil gets separated
4) Grind tomato to fine paste and add tomato purée and cubed potatoes to this mixture.
Fry for few minutes and add green gram. Mix well.
5) Then add Salt, Garam masala powder and Red chilli powder, mix them well.
6) Pressure cook it for 1 whistle. After it cools down, remove the lid add 1/2 cup of water and let it cook in medium flame for 5 more minutes.
7) Add kasuri methi and switch off the flame.
8) Finally add lemon juice to get a tasty gravy.
1) You can also add garam masala after pressure cooking.
2) If the water content is more after pressure cooking, skip adding another 1/2 cup water.