Pudina Pulao/Mint Rice is a tasty Rice and goes well with Onion Raita. This is a No onion No Garlic recipe. This is a perfect Lunch box recipe.
- 1 Cup Par boiled or Steamed rice
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 ladle Oil
- As per taste Salt
- 1 Cup Pudina/Mint leaves (Tightly packed)
- 1/2 cup Coriander leaves (Tightly packed)
- 1 inch length Ginger (Skin peeled and chopped)
- 2 Green chillies
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup Cabbage (Chopped finely)
- 1/4 cup Carrot (Chopped finely)
- 1/4 cup Beans (Chopped finely)
- 1/4 cup Capsicum (Chopped finely)
- 1/4 cup Potato (Chopped finely)
- 1/4 cup Khol Rabi/Nool kol (Chopped finely)
1) Wash rice and drain the water completely. Keep aside for Half an hour. Grind the Ingredients given in "For Grinding" to smooth paste by adding less water.
2) Heat ghee in a kadai and add the rice and fry till Rice comes as separate grains and turns golden colour.
3) Transfer the rice to a bowl.
4) In the same kadai, heat oil and add turmeric powder and Chilli powder. Maintain low flame to avoid burning of powders.
5) Add the veggies and fry for 10-15 mins then add the ground mixture and mix well.
6) Let the veggies get cooked for another 10-15 mins in this ground mixture.
7) Now add the rice to this mixture and mix well. Switch off the flame and transfer this mixture to a bowl.
8) Add 3 cups of Water, Salt and Lemon juice to this mixture and pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
Tasty Mint pulao is ready.
1) You can also cook the pulao in electric rice cooker instead of pressure cooker in final stage.
2) Adding Cauliflower and Green peas enhances the taste of pulao.
3) In step 5- Instead of adding veggies directly ,you can add the ground mixture and fry for few secs and then you can add the veggies. In case you don't like the strong mint flavour this method will help.
4) You can also use Basmati Rice to cook this Mint Rice.