Amla/Gooseberry/Nellikai is rich in Vitamin C and it is used to prepare many tasty dishes like Raita, Amla rice, pickle. This Amla pickle can be prepared easily and goes well with Curd rice.
Interested to know about health benefits of Amla???..click here.
- 4 Nellikai/Amla (Indian Gooseberry)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek powder
- As per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 3-4 small pieces Asafoetida
- 1 ladle sesame oil
1) Pressure cook Nellikai/Amla for 2-3 whistles. I prefer to keep in a separate bowl in the same pressure cooker while cooking rice. This gives softly cooked Nellikai/Amla.
2) Remove the seed and add Turmeric powder, Chillipowder, Fenugreek powder and Salt.
3) Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds.
4) Add Asafoetida and switch off the flame.
5) Pour this mixture over cooked Nellikai and mix well.
6) Let it stay for 4-5 hours before serving.
Tasty Amla pickle is ready
1) Pressure cooking Nellikai/Amla for 1 whistle will give crunchy Nellikai instead of soft ones.
2) I have used Bar Asafoetida, you can also use 1/4 tsp of powder form. Bar Asafoetida takes time to get dissolved so letting it stay few hours will help. In case you want to serve immediately, you can roast the bar asafoetida separately and make powder and add.