Avial goes well with puliyodarai, vetha kuzhambu and Adai. It is a traditional dish made of cooked veggies and coconut paste.
- 1/2 cup Curd
- As per taste Salt
- 1/2 cup Carrot (chopped as cubes)
- 1/2 cup beans (chopped vertically 1 inch length)
- 1/2 cup cluster beans (chopped vertically 1 inch length)
- 1/2 cup Capsicum (Chopped as big pieces)
- 1 cup potato (chopped as cubes)
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 3 Green chillis
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 spring Curry leaves
White pumpkin, Raw plantain, Snake guard (cook it separately in water and add to pressure cooked veggies)
Chow chow, Yam, Drumstick, Green peas (Can pressure cook along with other veggies)
Colocasia (Need to pressure cook separately and remove the outer layer, cut into two pieces)
1) Pressure cook all the vegetables with water for 1 whistle.
2) Grind coconut, cumin seeds and Green chilli to smooth paste. While grinding add milk instead of water.
3) Add ground paste and salt to cooked vegetables and let it cook for 2 mins.
4) Add curd to the avial and once the froth appears switch off the flame.
5) Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds. After it crackles add curry leaves and switch off the flame.
6) Pour the seasoning mixture over avial and mix well.
Tasty Avial is ready.
1) My mom adds a bit of ginger and few coriander leaves while grinding coconut which gives nice flavour of coriander leaves.
1) Do not cook avial for long time after adding curd as it will curdle. You can prepare the avial with out adding curd and add just before serving.
2) You can add 1/2 tsp of rice flour while grinding coconut mixture for thickness. As I prefer little watery I have not added.
3) Also you can drain the cooked vegetable water and add the ground mixture to get thick avial. The drained water can be added to Rasam or sambar or kootu instead of wasting.
4) If you don't have coconut oil, you can us the regular cooking oil. Coconut oil gives nice flavour.
5) You can add a pinch of turmeric powder but I prefer pure white Avial so I have not added.