Vellai poosanikai/Ash gourd curry is a tasty and easy stir fry that goes well with Rasam, sambar Rice. Generally vellai poosanikai is used to prepare only koottu varieties but this is a different and tasty curry/stir fry recipe.
- 500 gms Ash gourd
- A pinch turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Tamarind paste
- 1 tsp Powdered jaggry
- 2 tbsp Grated coconut
- As per taste salt
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Channa dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Red chilli (cut into two pieces)
- 2 tsp Oil
1) Wash and peel the outer green skin of Ash gourd/white pumpkin and removed the seeds.
2) Chop them as vertical cubes and pressure cook it with turmeric powder for 3-4 whistles. I normally keep it in a bowl (with out water) above rice and cook it to save time. Alternatively you can cook it in a vessel directly over stove with little water till it becomes soft.
3) Drain the water and keep aside. Even if you pressure cook it with out water like how I do, it leaves some water. You can use this drained water to prepare soups, rasams, kootu without wasting the nutrients.
4) Heat oil in a kadai and add ingredients given in "For seasoning".
5) Add cooked poosanikai, tamarind paste, jaggery and salt, mix them well. Sauté them for few mins.
6) Add grated coconut and mix well. Switch off the flame immediately.
Our Tasty Ash gourd stir fry is ready.