Sadly, this bright coloured veggie (Beetroot) is often neglected by many not knowing the health benefits it offers.
Do you know that Beetroot is rich in folate/folic acid???? And this vitamin plays important role in growth as it helps our body to build new cells. Folate is very much needed for all and particularly pregnant women.
In our recipe, I have used red boiled rice which is healthier than white rice. Immediately one big question arises to your mind for sure...Will it taste good? Yes, it will and you will get crispy bright coloured oothappam. I am sure it will fly off the moment you serve.
Ingredients for making Red rice batter:
- 2 Cups Idli rice
- 2 cups red boiled rice
- 1 cup whole Urad dal
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
Method to make batter:
1) Soak idli rice, red boiled rice and fenugreek together for 3-4 hours.
2) Soak Urad dal separately for 3-4 hours.
3) Grind the Urad dal to smooth fluffy paste.
4) Seperately grind rice to coarse paste.
5) Mix rice paste, urad dal paste and salt.
6) Let it ferment overnight.
For detailed idli batter procedure with step by step pics, click here.
Ingredients for Oothappam:
- As needed Red rice batter
- 1 Beetroot (skin peeled and grated)
- 1/2 Carrot (scrap off the dirt and grated)
- 5 Beans (chopped finely)
- 1/2 Capsicum (chopped finely)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
Method for oothappam:
1) Mix all veggies together is a bowl. Heat dosa tawa in medium flame and add few gingelly/sesame oil and spread them completely.
2) Spread dosa batter over the tawa and drizzle some oil over the sides. Unlike dosa, uthappam should be thick. This can be done by adding more batter and forming small circle comparing to dosa.
3) Spread the veggies over the uthappam and close it to cook in medium flame.
4) Once the bottom portion is cooked. Flip it around slowly to other side for even cooking. It takes jus few secs, dont let the upper veggies portion to cook for longer time.
5) Flip it around and check whether the veggies have got cooked. If you want the oothappam to be more crispy add few more oil over the sides and let it stay on tawa for few more mins in medium flame.
1) If you want this uthappam to be spicy, add finely chopped green chilles to veggies.
2) I have used the same batter to prepare mini idlis, click here to get the recipe.