Pudalangai/Snake gourd is one of the veggie which contains loads of fibre and water substance. It is also low in calorie and hence allowed in pathiya samyal (post-partum diet) also garbs its position in weight loss diet.
This poriyal is tasty and easy to make as well. Interested in pudalangai poriyal without coconut, click here.
1/4 kg (250 gms) snake gourd (pudalangai)
2 tbsp grated coconut
1 tbsp Oil
As per taste salt
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Split Urad dal
1) Wash and trim the edges of Snake gourd. Cut the snake gourd length wise and remove the seeds and white threads attached to seeds.
2) Chop the Snake guard into small pieces.3)Heat oil in a kadai and season the items give in "For Seasoning".
4) Once urad dal turns light brown colour, add chopped pudalangai to the kadai and mix well.
5) Sprinkle few water and close the kadai with a lid.
6) Let it get cooked for 5-10 mins. Remove the lid and check whether t is cooked. If not, sprinkle few more water and cook again.
7) Add salt and mix well.
8) Add grated coconut and switch off the flame.
Tasty pudalangai curry is ready to be served as side dish for rasam or sambar or vathakuzhambu.
1) You can reduce the quantity of grated coconut. Also you can can do this poriyal by avoiding coconut. If you feel it is very plain without coconut, add 1 tbsp of curry powder to enhance the taste.