This Varagarisi/ Kodo millet tastes similar to rice and you cant find any difference that this pongal is made out of millet.
3/4 cup Varagarisi/Kodo millet
1/4 cup Raw rice
1/2 cup Yellow moong dal
As per taste salt
1 tbsp Ghee
3 tsp Cumin seeds
2 tsp pepper corns
1 tsp ginger (skin peeled and finely chopped)
A pinch Asafoetida
Few curry leaves
1) Mix Varagarisi, Raw rice and Yellow moong dal, wash them and pressure cook with 5 cups water.
2) Heat ghee in a kadai and add Seasoning ingrediants, fry for a min and switch off the flame..
3) Open the cooker and add salt to cooked millet. With a laddle nicely mix well.
4) Pour the seasoned mixture to cooked millet and mix well.
Tasty pongal is ready to be served with ghee on top.
1) Adding 2 tsp of broken cashews roasted in ghee enhances the taste.
2) In case you feel that the seasoned mixture is not mixed well. Pressure cook the pongal after step 4 for one whistle.
3) Alternative method is: Grinding ingredients given in " For Seasoning" (except ghee) to coarse mixture and add to cooked millet. Now add Ghee separately at final step. If your kids are too fussy and pick the pepper corns to throw out of the plate, you can use this method.