Varagarisi/Kodo millet is one of the millets (Siruthaniyangal) which is rarely used but after seeing the picture I am sure you will grab a pocket of Varagarisi to make this oothappam. I have already tried soft spongy idlis with the same millet and used the same batter for this oothappam. Click this link to see how to grind batter.
I have used 2 cups of Vargarisi for 2 cups of Idli rice and 1 cup of Urad dal to make this batter.
4 Cups Varagarisi Idli batter
3 Tomatoes (Chopped)
1 Onion (Sliced vertically)
1) Heat a dosa tawa and add tsp of oil to spread.
2) Pour a laddle full of batter and spread it. It should be thick in the middle and thin on outer side. Drizzle oil around the oothappam.
3) Sprinkle tomatoes over uthappam and next is onion. Make sure you add more tomatoes and less onions.
4) After the base part is cooked flip it over to cook the other side and drizzle oil.
5) Once both the sides are cooked, your Oothappam is ready to be served with your side dish.
1) Adding onion to oothappam gives nice flavour, you can skip it to prepare a No Onion Recipe.
2) Adding finely chopped green chillies gives spiciness to uthappam.