Thayir vadai/curd vada/dahi vada is one of the famous snack and gets into lunch menu in all South Indian weddings.
For Final curd vadai:
- 2 cups Thick Curd/Yoghurt
- 4 tbsp grated Carrot
- 4 tbsp Onion (Finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves (Finely chopped)
For Urad dal Vadai:
- 1 Cup Urad dal
- A pinch Asafoetida/Hing
- As per taste salt
- For frying Oil
- 1/4 cup Coconut
- 3-4 Cashews (soaked for half an hour)
- 2 Green chilli (chopped)
- 1/4 inch Ginger (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves
- As per taste salt
Method for Curd vadai paste:
1) Grind all the ingredients give in "To Grind" using 1-2 tbsp milk (adjust accordingly) to a thick paste. Using milk retains the freshness and avoids the sour taste.
2) Whisk the curd and add the ground paste. Mix them well and keep aside.
Method to make Urad dal/Ulundu vadai:
1) Wash and soak Urad dal for 1 hour.
2) Drain water and grind it with salt and Hing. I always prefer using Grinder for grinding Urad dal as it always gives me excellent results while frying. In case you don't have small grinder, you can use mixer too. When you are adding water, just sprinkle water now and then. The batter needs to be thick. Adding too much of water will spoil the consistency and vadais will drink more oil.
3)Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan/kadai. Check the temperature by dropping a small piece of batter. If vadai comes to surface with bubbles, perfect time for more vadais.
4) Make round shaped vadais using banana leaf or plastic sheet, if you have good practice you can make with your hands too. For detailed procedure, check Urad dal vadai
5) Slide it to oil. After one side is cooked, flip it around.
6) In the mean time boil water in a bowl.
7) After both sides are done with golden brown colour, take the vadai out of oil and drop it in water.
8) Take the vadai out of water after 2-3 mins with a flat ladle, be careful at this part as vadai might break easily. Vadai should be soft, check it by touching with fingers. With backside of another flat ladle slightly press to release extra water.
9) Drop it in Curd vadai paste.
1) Take a Curd vadai and put it in a serving bowl and pour few curd paste over it.
2) Garnish with grated carrot, onion and coriander leaves.
Yummy Curd vadai is ready...
1) You can also add boondhis over curd vadai by skipping onions.
2) Adding cashews gives richness. You can skip it if you are diet conscious.
3) You can alter the ingredients in "To grind" according to your taste. If you don't like ginger taste, you can replace it with 1 tsp cumin seeds.
4) Tempering mustard seeds, curry leaves and Asaefotida/Hing can be done and added to Curd vadai paste.