Yummy Thengai/Coconut thogayal is mixed with hot rice and ghee for Lunch. This one is different from coconut chutney which serves as side dish for Idli and dosas. Some prefers to have this thogayal as side dish for Arisi upma.
- 1 cup grated Coconut
- 1 tbsp whole Urad dal
- 1 tbsp Channa dal
- 1 Green chili
- 1 Red chili
- A small piece Ginger (skin peeled)
- A small piece tamarind (around 1 tsp)
- A small piece Bar Asafoetida (Hing)
- 2 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Oil
- As per taste salt
1) Heat oil in a kadai and add Channa dal, Urad dal and Asafoetida, saute till light brown.
2) Add Red chili and saute for few secs and transfer the contents to a plate to cool down.
3) Grind Urad dal, Asafoetida and Red chili in a mixer as coarse mixture.
4) Add Coconut, Ginger, Green chili, Coriander leaves, Tamarind, salt with little water to grind to thick coarse paste.
Coconut thogayal is ready to be served with Hot Rice and Ghee.
1) Thogayal needs to be thick and don't grind it as fine watery paste like chutney.
2) If you don't like Ginger taste, you can avoid it or decrease the quantity.