Oh what a relief in summer if you drink this chilled neer mor/Butter milk. If you store this neer mor in a mud pot, it will remain cool through out the day and you can drink it any time to quench the thirst.
My mom used to say if you take as curd it is fat as well as it heats the body but if you take as buttermilk it has got cooling effects and she always gives us this neer mor to balance the water content lost during summer.
It is simple to make and rich in calcium....instead of aerated drinks its better to have home made drinks like this.
- 1 cup Curd
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp Chopped Curry leaves
- A Pinch Asafoetida
- As per taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1) Beat the curd nicely with a whisk.
2) Add water, curry leaves, Asafoetida and salt and mix well.
3) Temper mustard seeds and add to Neer mor and mix well.
Neer mor is ready!!!!
1) The one which I have made is not spicy at all and can be given to kids too. A Variation of adding 1 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves, 1 tsp of chopped ginger, 1/2 tsp of finely chopped green chillies and 1/4 tsp of lemon juice to neer mor makes this little spicy and are suitable for elders.
2) Another variation is grinding curry leaves, ginger, coriander leaves and green chillies and adding to neer mor and finally adding lemon juice. This gives a different taste also some spit out curry leaves or ginger, we can try this variation so that the nutrients of curry leaves are not wasted.
3) Very simple and easy one is add water, salt, asafoetida to curd and wip well and have it. If you are in a hurry then you can try this variation, it tastes plain still yummy.