Thinai (Foxtail millet) can be bought in rice form or Rava form. I have tried this kheer with rava.
- 1 cup Thinai Rava
- 1 litre + 1 cup Whole milk
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 8 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- Few strands Saffron (Soak in 2 tsp of milk)
There are two parts in making this kheer.
1) Cook Thinai Rava
2) Make thick creamy milk
1) Add 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water to thinai rava
2) Pressure cook it for 4 whistles
1) Heat a heavy bottom kadai, add 2 tsp of ghee and grease it.
2) Add 1 litre milk and let it boil.
3) Keep a ladle to avoid milk from spilling.
4) Let it boil in low flame and occasional stirring is needed.
5) It takes 1 hour to become a thick creamy milk.
6) Take the cooked rava from pressure cooker and fluff it nicely with a spoon to avoid lumps
7) Add the rava to milk and mix it.
8) After 10 mins, switch off the flame.
9) Add soaked saffron, cardamom powder and mix well.
Tasty creamy healthy Thinai Rava kheer is ready.
1) In case you run out of time, you can prepare the thick creamy milk the day before and refrigerate too.