Change is the most vital part of our life. Initially you might not be able to accept it, but when you prepare your mind for it you will start living with it. You might be thinking what has happened to me... philosophy in food section. Yes, you need to prepare your mind to get out of routine rice varieties and innovate to get new ideas to prepare healthy as well as delicious recipes.
I decided to make a sweet dish with this rava to impress my hubby....always start from your hubby to grab whole family towards you for making them eat healthy food.
Jokes apart...I made this sweet dish and to my surprise complete dish was empty and I was able to taste only a spoon full.
This dish is healthy as well as tasty. Why do we always go for these normal payasam like, Semiya, Aval, sago etc. Atleast on your weekend try innovative and healthy dish to make your whole family to attract towards healthy food. I wil soon try out some more new recipes with this wonderful millet and will post.
- 1 cup Foxtail millet (Thinai) rava
- 1 tbsp Split Chick peas (kadala paruppu)
- 4 cups Milk
- 1 tbsp grated coconut
- 11/2 cup Jaggery
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 5 Cashews
1) In a kadai, add 1/2 tbsp ghee, saute cashews and keep aside. Add Foxtail millet rava and split chick peas to same kadai with 1/2 tbsp ghee and sauté them for 5 mins.
2) Transfer them to a pressure cooker and add coconut, 1 cup milk, 1 cup water to pressure cook the rava and chick peas for 3 whistles.
3) In same kadai, boil the rest of milk till it reduces to half. Keep a ladle in kadai to avoid spilling of milk.
4) In a kadai , add 1/2 cup of water and jaggery and heat them. Once jaggery gets dissolved in water, strain it to remove impurities.
5) Add Cooked rava and jaggery syrup to milk and mix well.
6) Stir the Payasam in low flame for 5 mins and add cardamom powder and mix well.
7) Finally you can add cashews to Payasam.
1) You can add nuts with out roasting in ghee, as it has less fat and retains the same taste. Also you can roast few raisins in ghee and add.
2) I have used whole milk, you can substitute with toned milk too.
3) Adding 1 tbsp of kalkandu (rock candy) powder enhances the taste.
4) Adding a pinch of edible camphor will give a variation to this payasam.
5) For Decoration and richness go ahead and add
- 5 Almonds (Thinly Sliced)
- 5 Pistachios (Thinly Sliced)