Kundru ki Sabzi is a tasty and healthy gravy that goes well with Rotis and parathas.
The other names of Kundru are Indian Ivy gourd, Kovakkai, Dondakaya, Tondakayi. This veggie has immerse health benefits and widely consumed in all parts of India.
- 250 gms Kundru/Tindora (Slit vertically into half)
- 2 medium size onions (Finely chopped)
- 2 medium size Tomatoes (Finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Kasuri methi/Dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- As per taste Salt
- 1 ladle Oil
- 2 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- A pinch Hing
1) Boil Tomatoes in water for 5 mins. Drain water and keep aside. After it cools remove the skin, grind to smooth paste and set aside.
2) Heat oil in a kadai and add Cumin seeds to crackle. Next add Onions and fry till light brown.
3) Add the Kundrus/Tindoras and fry in oil for few minutes. Kundrus will get half cooked in oil and start shrinking in size. Next add Ginger Garlic paste and fry till raw smell goes off.
4) Now add the ground tomato puree, 1 cup water, Salt and close it with a lid to cook in medium flame.
5) Kundrus will get cooked in tomato paste and sabzi will start leaving oil on sides. Now add Garam masala, Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder, Hing and leave to get cooked till masalas blend well with sabzi. At this stage, you can adjust gravy consistency by adding more water.
6) Now add Kasuri methi, mix well and switch off the flame.
Yummy Kundru ki sabzi/Tindora Gravy/Kovakkai curry is ready to pair up rotisss.
1) Always use tender Kundrus, don't use the red coloured ripe ones.
2) You can also add fresh cream at final stage to get richness in gravy.
3) To prepare Kundru Aloo ki sabzi, you can add cubbed boiled potatoes at step 5.